Monday, February 1, 2010

Learning with Technology

All throughout my school career I have been introduced to technology in different forms, mainly computers. We have had computers in our classrooms ever since I was in kindergarten, so right from the start ! Of course, in kindergarten/first grade we mainly used the computers for games during free time - and we never really learned anything that was "of use" for schooling. In elementary school, we had chalkboards in every classroom - and I remember going into fifth grade and having white boards and feeling so much more advanced. Into middle school teachers started using projectors on the boards to teach different subjects to us. Once I moved on to college, every classroom has projector screens with more high tech projectors for power points. I have also never used a Mac until this class - and it is MUCH different than the Dell I'm used to ! So I have a lot of catching up to do in that department as well. Needless to say, the technology has increased so much even in the time span of my schooling.

In fifth grade, I again remember being very excited about having a class set aside for the students that was a full period of being in the computer lab. Here, we got to once again play games - but only for a part of the period. We started to learn basic skills of using a computer - like how to use the internet for research. In middle school, we again had computer classes and learned more advanced skills. We improved our typing abilities using Mario Teaches Typing, which I believe was a very helpful and entertaining process. We even had a program that taught us French when we didn't have a French teacher at school. In high school, we had access to a full computer lab again in the library, and learned even more advanced ways to research. Basically, the main thing that was emphasized was showing us the different strategies of research. We touched briefly on powerpoints and spreadsheets at times, but not enough to retain any of the knowledge.

My third semester in college I was required to do a powerpoint presentation as a group in my education class, and I had to wing it completely to get one together. I did learn from it though, with the help of my roommate and my partners. I now know at least some of the basics of putting together a presentation. My presentation was actually on technology in a classroom - so we researched some different ways that we have been taught - the main one being with the projectors and computers. I'm excited that this class is focused on how to use technology in different ways that can be fun for the students, as well as educational. I'm hoping to get a lot out of it - because I know it will definitely be useful for me, especially at the grade level that I'm hoping to teach, :]

No comments:

Post a Comment